Wrong-site surgery is an error that continues to happen in hospitals in Texas and elsewhere.
The attorneys at Hampton & King in Houston represent victims of surgeon malpractice such as wrong-site surgery and wrong-patient surgery. If you or a loved one has been injured due to negligence by a doctor or other medical provider, contact us for a free initial consultation.
Surgical Mistakes That Should Never Happen
Here are examples of wrong-site surgery that happens in hospitals:
- Operating on the wrong side of a patient's body
- Operating on the wrong area
- Removing a healthy organ or limb
- Operating on the wrong organ or limb
- Fusing the wrong vertebrae in a spinal fusion
- Operating on the wrong patient
- Performing the wrong surgical procedure
Wrong-site surgery is an operating room (OR) mistake that should never happen. It typically happens because either the hospital lacks a formal process to identify the surgical site or a medical professional failed to follow the process.
Here are some ways operating rooms can ensure that the right patient receives the right surgery in the right area of the body:
- Verifying that you have the right patient in the operating room
- Marking the site of the surgery
- Briefing the surgical staff before an operation
To discuss your case with one of our lawyers, call the Houston office of Hampton & King at 713-574-8660. You can also send us an email.