Jump To Navigation
  • Super lawyers
  • American Board Of Trial Advocates
  • The Best Lawyers In America
  • Texas' Best Lawyers 2010 Edition
  • Life Member Million Dollar Advocates Forum The Top Trial Lawyers in America
Spinal Cord Injury Information Center

Compensation for Spinal Cord Injuries

If you have suffered a spinal cord injury (SCI) due to another person's negligent acts, you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries. The amount of compensation will depend on the individual circumstances of your case and your state's laws. Contact an attorney in your area today to find out if you are entitled to damages for your spinal cord injury. An attorney experienced in spinal cord injury cases can determine if a lawsuit is in your best interests.

Proving the Right to Compensation

To recover compensation for your injury, you may be required to show:

  • That the SCI occurred due to reckless or negligent disregard for your safety by another
  • That you were injured
  • That your injury was caused by the accident and is not due to a pre-existing condition or unrelated occurrence
  • That you suffered compensable damages

In some states, under the doctrine of comparative negligence, your compensation can be decreased proportionately if it is found that you contributed to your injuries. For example, if the court finds you are 20 percent at fault, then your recovery will be decreased by that percentage. A minority of states follow the restrictive contributory negligence rule. In these states, if the court finds you contributed in any way to the injuries you suffered — even as little as 1 percent — you will be barred recovery altogether.

Available Damages

The damages you may be entitled to collect will vary by your state's laws and may not include all of those listed here. You will want to consult with a local attorney about the compensation available in your jurisdiction for spinal cord injuries.

  • Medical expenses
    Costs incurred by you for health care, including ambulance bills, hospital bills, and charges for surgical, medical or chiropractic care
  • Future medical expenses
    The cost of future medical care for injuries or disabilities, including costs for rehabilitation, bioengineering equipment (wheelchairs, electrical equipment to assist breathing and eating) transportation, attendant care
  • Lost income
    Payment for wages lost as a result of your injury
  • Lost future earning capacity
    The sum of money that will compensate you for the earnings you would have made in the future if you had not sustained the injury
  • Pain and suffering
    The pain, suffering, disfigurement, disability and loss of life's pleasures you have experienced from your spinal cord injury
  • Property damage
    Repair or replacement of any property that was damaged in the accident


If you have suffered a spinal cord injury, you have the right to seek compensation. Consult a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after your injury. The law imposes a statute of limitations that varies from state to state. You have a limited period in which to pursue a legal claim. If you or a loved one have suffered health problems due to a spinal cord injury, contact a personal injury lawyer with experience handling spinal cord injury cases to discuss your options.

Copyright ©2009 FindLaw, a Thomson Business

DISCLAIMER: This site and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Return to Main

  • Museum District Office
  • 1150 Bissonnet
  • Houston, Texas 77005
  • Hartley Hampton
  • Toll Free: 866-635-0811
  • Phone: 713-574-8660
  • Fax: 713-650-6458
  • Email Us | Print Page
Areas We Serve

The Houston, Texas, law firm of Hartley Hampton, P.C., serves businesses and individuals in communities throughout south Texas in areas such as Bellaire, Baytown, Pasadena, La Porte, Alvin, Pearland, Lake Jackson, Conroe, the Woodlands, Tomball, Kingwood, League City, Humble, Galveston, Clear Lake, Friendswood, Texas City, Katy, West Houston, Orange, Beaumont, Port Arthur, Sugar Land, Missouri City, Victoria, Corpus Christi, Austin, San Antonio, Texas Gulf Coast and Dallas.

Harris County • Galveston County • Brazoria County • Matagorda County • Fort Bend County • Waller County • Grimes County • Walker County • Montgomery County • Liberty County • Chambers County • Jefferson County • Orange County

® by , a Thomson Reuters business.